Kiwanis meeting of October 5th
Today was the 1st meeting for our new officers for the 2016-17 administrative year. President David Thompson got the meeting started by going thru the agenda which included :
1. There will be a Divisional Meeting next Monday in Flat Rock at 6:30. Please contact him if you can go so we can have an interclub visit
2. Past President Ig gave out Gift Cards to a couple of members of last years Board of Directors
3. Dick Sager gave a report on the Induction of officers for the Aktion Club that took place Tuesday night
4. The Special Olympics sponsored 1/2 Marathon on November 6th can still use some volunteers for that event
5. The Hog Raffle tickets need to be sold ASAP and turned in for the October 19th drawing
6. The next Board meeting is on October 11th at noon
7. The bowling team took 2 points on Tuesday night
8. All shirt sales and money should be in ti Dr. Jodie
9. October 19th will be our 1st Committee Day for the new officers
10. October 19th will also be picture Day for the Club photo this year
11. THIS FRIDAY 10/7/16 WILL BE THE DEADLINE FOR ALL ADS,ARTICLES AND PICTURES. IF YOU STILL ARE TRYING TO GET YOUR AD IN OR HAVE SOMEONE YOU ARE WAITING ON PLEASE MAKE EVERY ATTEMPT TO LET ME KNOW
Today was our annual Firefighter of the Year lunch. This years selection was turned in by the Summerfield/Petersburg volunteer Fire Department. They chose Terry Raymond from their Department.
Terry passed away 2 days after fighting a fire in their area. I MC’d the event and we did things a little different this year. We had RJ Schall read the nomination and tell us a little about Terry. Our next order of business was to read a letter from his wife who couldn’t come because it was just to soon for her. The Club presented a Plaque to his Daughter and she spoke a few words.
Larry Merkle was next to present a Plaque that will be put up at the Fair Grounds for display that includes 7 names of firefighters who have lost their lives in fire related events. The last thing RJ Schall and Larry did was ring the Firemans Bell for a series of rings 3 times.It was a very moving and emotional day but I was proud to be part of it and prouder yet of our Club who continue to sponsor the tribute.
Those in attendance for Terry included: Leah Raymond (Daughter), Theresa Raymond (Mother), Pat Raymond (Brother), Courtney Raymond (Niece), Nick Raymond (Brother), Holly Raymond (Sister), Terri Bauer (Sister-in-Law), Tara Raymond (Niece) and Phill Raymond (Brother)