Kiwanis meeting of August 26th
We had several guests today which included: Cassandra Kiley, Kim Hooper, Jennifer Jacobs, Phoniex Mullins, Sara Watford and Matt Mundrick
The agenda followed :
1. The Bowling Season has started and our team took 4 points the 1st week
2. Members are asked to start collecting shoes for our Fundraiser coming up
3. Members are still needed for the ushering duties at the Flat Rock Speedway onSeptember 12th.See Gene Jenkins for information
4. The wine tour is this weekend.See Jim Petrangelo more information
5. Volunteers are still needed this Friday between 2-6 pm to put up chairs at the River Raisin Battlefield for the U.S.Navy Rock n Roll Concert on Saturday. Contact Jim or Jami Keegan for more information
6. Kim Hooper spoke to the club about the Monroe County Bed Race to Aid Children. The event will be on Sunday September 27th at 1pm. It will take place at Loranger Square in Downtown Monroe. To date they have given over 2700 beds or cribs to children in Monroe County. For more information or to register contact them atwww.bedracetoaidchildren.org.
7. The induction ceremony will be held on September 30th and members are asked to come that night to the Monroe Golf and Country Club
8. Deputy Lestock introduced 3 of the students that went to the State Police Academy this Summer. Each one of them gave a little information as to what they did while they were there. There were 52 students that started and only 1 dropped out. It was held for 5 days
9. We will have representation at the District Convention next week in Detroit
10. The Kiwanis Newsmagazine Drive was kicked off today at the meeting. Packets were given out to members who were there and more will be passed out. Those who can’t make it, packets will be sent to them in the next 2 weeks. We also have sheets being passed out at the meeting for Patron ads from the members. Members will be contacted to fill out that information as well.
11. Paperwork is being finalized to start the Circle K Club at MCCC. We are looking for a Club Member to be a Sponsor. If interested please contact President Jodie
Kerry Simmons, Area Director for the Special Olympics, was our guest speaker today. They offer 20 sports that individuals can take part in. They compete at the Local, State and National levels. She thanked our club for all we do before showing a video of the events that the Special Olympians have taken part in. Several of those individuals are in our Aktion Club.